win32 debugging-- python21_d.dll not found

John J. Lee jjl at pobox.com
Thu Jan 24 18:07:43 EST 2002

I compiled python21_d.dll and python21_d.exe with MSVC, and stuck the
_d.dll in C:\winnt\system32 along with python.dll, and the _d.exe in
C:\Python21, alongside python.exe.  When I try using python_d.exe, with an
extension compiled with mingw32 against libpython21_d.a, I get a message
box complaining that python21_d.dll couldn't be found, yet
C:\winnt\system32 is listed in the search path given in that very message
box.  Are DLLs not found by filename?  Or what?

John