Ruby Impressions

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Fri Jan 11 12:19:06 EST 2002

In article <3C3F1344.9020004 at earthlink.net>, Edward Diener
<eldiener at earthlink.net> writes
I believe linguistic history of English is that it's a mix of Anglo-
Saxon and Norman French translated through the great vowel shift into
what we currently call Modern English. Clearly there are a lot of other
lumps in the mix but I think the closest modern match is Ost Frisian
which is closely related to German.

In Austrian and many other dialects Hochdeutsch is the name given to
educated North German. Clearly the Berlin dialect is not it, but that
usage doesn't have much to do with what English scholars call High
German.
--
Robin Becker