Saving files on a user´s comp uter with browser ("re-post")

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Sun Jan 6 19:11:25 CET 2002


"Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it> wrote in message
news:QTZZ7.4184$2R2.149363 at news1.tin.it...
> No, it's not highly likely, because most users detest having to type
> userids and passwords to a zillion different websites whenever they
surf.
> That's what cookies are most often used for: keep user information
(e.g.
> for identification and authentication) so users won't need to retype
it a
> zilllion times.

Alex, you are one of my favorite posters but this is shear fantasy.
Set your browser to accept all cookies but ask permission for each one
and try a few commercial sites.  In my experience, such legitimate use
of cookies as you describe is about 1% and the other 99% is (abusive)
tracking of negative net value to the user.  I'm pretty sure that such
abuse of the technology is one of the things that damped the web and
.com boom.

Terry J. Reedy






More information about the Python-list mailing list