jython - extending with java

Alex Martelli aleax at aleax.it
Thu Jan 3 05:30:46 EST 2002

news:cf0ad9fb.0201030145.18dbdc50 at posting.google.com...

Of course not.  See http://sourceforge.net/projects/jpe

> I have been looking a little at jython, and am a little
> disappointed with it. The distribution seems to be targeted
> mainly towards a WINDOWS platform (and not Linux).

?! I don't know what you're talking about.  I installed Jython 2.1
on Linux boxes (with Sunsoft's Java SDK 1.3) without a hitch.

> Also, it is quite slow...

Yes, so is everything Javaish in my experience.  Apparently 1.4 of
the SDK does make things a bit better wrt Jython.

> Is anyone using jython? Searching comp.python for jython brings up
> only posts; most recent is april 2001.

Change your search engine.  Using a good one, i.e. google:
http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q=jython&as_ugroup=comp.lang.python&as_dr
rb=b&as_mind=1&as_minm=12&as_miny=2001&as_maxd=3&as_maxm=1&as_maxy=2002&num=
20&hl=en
gives me 84 hits -- these are posts in comp.lang.python mentioning
jython since Dec 1, 2001 (i.e. in the last month).

Clearly most jython-specific discussion takes place in its
dedicated mailing lists, but jython discussion is also welcome
here, of course.  After all, jython IS Python!

With Jython 2.1 final just released, and O'Reilly's "Essential
Jython" due to hit the shelves shortly (and an excellent book,
btw -- I'm biased by having technically reviewed it, but...), I
wonder how anybody could happen to harbor such questions as "is
anybody using jython" in their heads.

Alex