Mono and Python

Don Tuttle tuttledon at mailandnews.com
Wed Jan 2 02:30:25 EST 2002

>> [Don Tuttle]
> > Because, quite frankly, the silence of the past few months has been
> > deafening.
>
> [Tim Peters]
> Unsure what this means -- <snip>

 In particular I was thinking about a post I made last month to the
ActivePython list about the furture of Python and .NET that went unanswered.
(Of course Mark's "Christmas present" would later explain the silence.)  And
in general I've seen very little discussion or enthusiasm about a C#
implementation of Python like there was (is) for Jython.  Perhaps this is
simple because everyone assumed ActiveState was going to do it. But it now
looks like VisualPython is their only active .NET project for Python and
that worries me.

I'd like to know if ActiveState's apparent abandonment of this project was
because it proved to technically difficult (imposable?) or simply because
they felt the ROI wasn't there.

And truth be told, I'm scared CLI is going to be a multiplatform hit and
Python isn't going to be invited to the party.

Don