Autocoding project proposal.

Huaiyu Zhu huaiyu at gauss.almadan.ibm.com
Fri Jan 25 17:59:55 EST 2002

On Fri, 25 Jan 2002 02:30:22 GMT, Timothy Rue <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote:
>Point is, what you are presenting me with, works both ways here.
>read some of the other messages for links. Then go ahead and tell me it's
>not enough for you.

If you want to convince people of your proposal, you need to post some code.
If you want people to follow the link, you need to put the link in here.
If they missed it, they are not going to go digging through the news archive.

>I'm asking for help in creating this tool. If you are going to wait until
>it's done, then what will you have to offer? Maybe your just an end user,
>waiting to use it. And that's OK, because that's who this tool is also
>for.

As I understand, nobody is saying that people should only join a project
when it is done.  In fact, a good project will live a very long time, and it
will almost never be too late to join.

What is being asked for is some concrete demos that can convince people of
its true potentials.  It does not need to actually work in any practical
way, but it must be clear how it is intended to work when it is done.

As an aside, I've been working on the subject of "goal-oriented computing"
for several years.  The proof of concept demo can be printed on two pages.
But the real code has gone over five or six complete rewrites, each with at
least a few thousand lines of code.  I'm still not releasing it because I
fear people would lose interest if it is released prematurely.

Why all these hesitations?  Because as they say: the devil is in the
details.  Many grand ideas look very promising from a distance, but becomes
quite infeasible when you get close and get your hand dirty actually doing
it.  Just investigating such ideas also has costs.  Doing the initial work
yourself provides a good incentive for others to take a closer look.

Wish you good luck on the project.

Huaiyu