Python is just as good as C++ for real apps

dman dsh8290 at rit.edu
Tue Jan 29 07:12:11 EST 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 12:33:43AM +0000, Grant Edwards wrote:
| In article <83d6zuggfh.fsf at panacea.canonical.org>, Kragen Sitaker wrote:
| > dman <dsh8290 at rit.edu> writes:
| >>
| >> No way :-).  Python is better for that!
| >>
| >> I'd like to see a statically-typed, compiled-to-native,
| >> raw-pointers-included, python-like language.
| >
| > How about OCaml?  Or what do you mean by "statically-typed python-like"?
|
| I've always thought that dynamic typing was what gave Python
| much of it's "flavor", so the phrase "statically-typed
| python-like" seems like a bit of an oxymoron to me.

The dynamic typing is a large part of what makes python python, but it
also contributes to making python->native compilation harder and
contributes to not having the performance potential that C has.  Thus
this new language wouldn't be an end-all language, just a replacement
for C (with python itself still preferred for high-level operations).

-D

--

Pride only breeds quarrels,
but wisdom is found in those who take advice.