Perl code 37 times quickly than Python code??

Skip Montanaro skip at pobox.com
Tue Jan 15 16:50:09 EST 2002

    [ perl and python implementations of a grayscale ramp snipped ]

    Toni> I suppose two programs generate same result, is not?. I like
    Toni> Python, but Python program execution is 37 times long that Perl
    Toni> program. What is WRONG??

Nothing is wrong other than you are trying to generalize from performance
data for a very small benchmark to make a statement that Perl is somehow 37
times faster than Python.  It's unlikely that you will be using Python for
an entire floating point intensive application, so why should its floating
point performance be a big problem?

--
Skip Montanaro (skip at pobox.com - http://www.mojam.com/)