Suggestions for 2002

Andrew Dalke dalke at dalkescientific.com
Sun Jan 13 11:37:20 EST 2002

Paul Rubin:
>I'm not sure if
>you can do a,b=c,d as I proposed using weak references instead of pointers.

Weak references make no difference here.  They would only come into play
when there are no normal ("strong") references to an object.  In CPython
with reference counting, this occurs when the count of strong references
goes to 0,  But in
  a,b = c,d
there is never a point where the reference counts go to 0.

I think you are mistaking the term "reference" to be what it means
in C when you get a reference to an object.  They are different critters.

                    Andrew
                    dalke at dalkescientific.com