OT again... is there an IMAP expert in the house?

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Tue Jan 29 08:45:26 EST 2002

"Steve Holden" <sholden at holdenweb.com> wrote in message
news:<Rwq58.23265$8b.933505 at atlpnn01.usenetserver.com>...

> So why not write a process to collect emails using POP3 (much easier than
an
> SMTP server) and insert them in a local NNTP server. If you could persuade
> staff to reply to the newsgroup as well as the customers it seems that
might
> give you a lot of what you want, no?

The key element missing is the ability to track disposition.  If a
newsgroup article is responded to, no record is kept *with the original
post* AFAIK.  Am I wrong?

The customers (and I) would like to be able to see at a glance which
messages are not responded to; this leads back to an issue tracker.

While RT has been recommended, I am not enough of a Perl guru to want
to mess with it.  I am fluent in Python (and C and some "ancient" languages)
but am totally lost in Perl.  If it works perfectly "out of the box" RT
might be a good idea, but frankly it seems that such software always needs
a tweak or two.

Roundup sounds real good, but it assumes that the inbound messages have
[issue] at the start of the subject line.  (The docs don't say what happens
to those that don't...)  Likely I can change this behavior, as it IS Python,
but I will also have to shim it into an offline-mailer environment on
Windows (downloading the messages from the "real" mailserver with POP3 and
inserting them into the Roundup system).

I think that is probably the best way to achieve my goals; now I must
figure out cost effectiveness.

Thanks to all who responded, and my apologies for running such a long OT
posting (but it seems to be back on topic now...)