Simple threaded web-server based on BaseHTTPServer?

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Thu Jan 31 11:33:52 EST 2002

"Thomas Weholt" <thomas at gatsoft.no> wrote in message
news:ifb68.120$ti7.178927104 at news.telia.no...
{Medusa-bashing ;-) }

> And what about SSL and BaseHTTPServer?? SSL is a requirement later on in
the
> project. Medusa offers HTTP/1.1 too and it would really help to be able to
> use compression. What about BaseHTTPServer and HTTP/1.1 ? Is it just
another
> case of doing it the hard way; manually?

Forget BaseHTTPServer. I'd be surprised

> PS! I *do* think Medusa is great. I just want a lightweight, easy to use
and
> stable framework to base my application-server on. The keyword here is
> application-server; many of the pages will server content taking up to 10
> seconds or more to produce from the subsystems -> threads required ??

Unless you absolutely MUST have a 100% pure Python solution, I would
recommend you take a long hard look at Xitami (www.xitami.com). The free
version supports http, you get https with the commercial version, which is
very modestly priced IMO.

Most importantly it has an asynchronous framework which appears to allow for
some fairly heavy-duty scaling, and it will support long-running web
processes in Python if required.

regards
 Steve
--