Equivalent of Perl chomp?

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Wed Jan 30 17:59:25 EST 2002

"hamish_lawson" <hamish_lawson at yahoo.co.uk> writes:
> Some of the other solutions offered don't remove *all* trailing CR or
> LF characters, as Perl's chomp function does. Here is a version that
> does:

Perl's chomp function doesn't; it removes either nothing or a single
line terminator from the end of the string.  The line terminator is
generally "\n", but it could be something else depending on context.
kragen at detached:~/pkgs/Python-211/Objects$ perl -e 'my $x = "a\r\n\r\n"; chomp $x; print $x, "foo\n"' | cat -vte
a^M$
^Mfoo$