Genuine computer Scrience >Re: Autocoding project proposal.

Timothy Rue threeseas at earthlink.net
Tue Jan 29 00:43:04 EST 2002

On 28-Jan-02 18:47:45 Christopher Browne <cbbrowne at acm.org> wrote:

[snip]

>Certainly HCI isn't part of _pure_ computer science, and connecting it
>requires a conscious connection to psychology.

>It surely doesn't fall into the traditional areas of CS:
> - Algorithms
> - Numerical Analysis
> - Databases
> - Languages
> - Hardware Architecture
> - Operating Systems

>The Association for Computing Machinery, "the" CS organization, does
>have an HCI group (called SIGCHI).  It's only one of many special
>interest groups.

>I'd argue that HCI is _properly_ a secondary concern in computer
>science.

>Computer science is about understanding what computers are, what they
>can be made to do, and how to accomplish those things.

>HCI doesn't fall into any of those three major categories.

This is good. Do you suppose we can get own to dealing with genuine
science now, on this topic/thread?

---
*3 S.E.A.S - Virtual Interaction Configuration (VIC) - VISION OF VISIONS!*
   *~ ~ ~      Advancing How we Perceive and Use the Tool of Computers!*
Timothy Rue      What's *DONE* in all we do?  *AI PK OI IP OP SF IQ ID KE*
Email @ mailto:timrue at mindspring.com      >INPUT->(Processing)->OUTPUT>v
Web @ http://www.mindspring.com/~timrue/  ^<--------<----9----<--------<