autocoding project proposal

Timothy Rue threeseas at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 21 09:00:50 EST 2002

On 21-Jan-02 04:28:24 Sean 'Shaleh' Perry <shalehperry at attbi.com> wrote:
>On 21-Jan-2002 Timothy Rue wrote:
>> I'm posting this to this python group because a sample of what is
>> mentioned below is done in python. And wouldn't it cool to have python
>> used in an autocoding development environment?
>>

>By autocoding I assume you mean running a program which outputs python code
>which is then run.

more or less.

>.... Every time I have looked into this I find that
>implementing it is overly hard due to python's syntax being whitespace
>dependant.  This is the ONLY time I have ever found it to be an issue for me.

You are refering to indentation. The autocoding process should only needs
to keep track of how deep the code it is currently dealing with is. Really
no different than how you or I do it. In fact the computer is far more
likely to not lose track of how deep it is, and if it does, then we should
be able to fix it.

I'm interested in knowing what sort of autocoding tools you have looked at
or considered creating, that indentation is difficult to solve. It might
help for me to better explain.

If you are refering to the bit of python code I've done, then know that
it's only the focus of one of nine comands having only enough of the
others to enable it's basic operation as a stand alone command. In a more
complete form there will be more control of depth and keeping track of it.