What does Python fix?

JMarttila martti at bellsouth.net
Fri Jan 18 12:12:24 EST 2002

(Inserts cursor at top, inserts a blank line, begins typing)

Thank you Mark. I often read newsgroups through Google, as I am doing
now. I usually want to scream. "PLEASE TOP POST!" When I read a
newsgroup, I have already read the discussion. So I vastly prefer when
someone just puts their response AT THE TOP. I don't have to wade
through vast amounts of quoted text which I ALREADY READ. And I
already know WHO SAID WHAT! So a simple, "I agree with Mark's point",
or "Jim's point about xxxx I disagree with and here's why." works much
better for me. On Google, since it seems as many as 25% of the posts
lead of with a large chunk of quoted text, to read the actual new
content of the message I have to click on "read more of this message".
Usually when I do that I find a "yes, I agree" at the bottom of the
vast quote. Argh! So I've discovered that the best remedy for me is to
just ignore all messages that lead off by quoting so much of the
discussion (Which I already read! Get it?) that they need me to click
to see more. I find those posters usually don't have anything to add
anyway.

Of course, ideally, I prefer the people who are so intelligent and
courteous that they respond inline, with minimal amounts of quoted
material. But if you can't do that, please top post. I've already read
the rest of the damn discussion. I even prefer this method when I am
using a proper newsreader.

Now, if you are not sure what message I am responding to, please see
the material below.

John Marttila

BTW- I also really hate when discussions veer far off topic. Which I
am contributing to here. But that is a minor evil compared to bottom
posting.