How to break out of two nested for loops?

Paul Prescod paul at prescod.net
Thu Jan 24 09:53:11 EST 2002

Justin Sheehy wrote:

> The for-loop construct in Python uses exceptions for termination.  Doing
> so by hand is clearly in line with language idiom.

Python's implementation also makes use of "goto" quite a bit.

And if you want to "go to" a particular place in the code then why would
an exception be a clearer way to do that? I think that the original
poster was correct in saying that exceptions are about as readable or
unreadable as a goto. Used properly, either is not bad. Used improperly,
either is a nightmare. I can understand a wish to avoid (ab)using
exceptions in this way.

 Paul Prescod