Building Python 2.2 - curses module test failure

Michael Hudson mwh at python.net
Wed Jan 30 05:31:36 EST 2002

Nick Chalk <nick at leviathan.uklinux.net> writes:

> I'm in the process of building Python 2.2 on a
> bootstrapped Linux machine, but having problems
> with the curses module.
>
> I've asked for _curses and _curses_panel to be
> built as shared objects in Modules/Setup.local,

Why not let setup.py do it?  Not likely to be relavent, but...

> and indeed there are no problems at compile time.
> However, the curses part of the test-suite fails -
> a segfault, leaving the terminal in an unusable
> state.
>
> Running the test with memory allocation checking
> on - MALLOC_CHECK_=1 - reports several attempts at
> free()ing invalid pointers. Cutting the test
> script down to the minimum - calls to
> curses.wrapper(main), curses.savetty(), and
> curses.resetty() - still results in an invalid
> pointer report.

Wierd.  Let me try:

$ ../../build/python regrtest.py -u curses test_curses.py
test_curses
test test_curses crashed -- _curses.error: curs_set() returned ERR
1 test failed:
    test_curses
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Holy crap!

Definitely seem to be freeing things we shouldn't.

I'm guessing noone's run test_curses in a while.

Are you using 2.2, or stuff from CVS?

Cheers,
M.

--
  If your telephone company installs a system in the woods with no
  one around to see them, do they still get it wrong?