Telnet and running commands on remote systems

Donn Cave donn at u.washington.edu
Thu Jan 10 18:13:26 CET 2002

Quoth claird at starbase.neosoft.com (Cameron Laird):
| In article <mailman.1010656214.2862.python-list at python.org>,
| Jason Orendorff <jason at jorendorff.com> wrote:
|>> YMMV, but, as for me, I feel much safer in having no telnet
|>> (nor any non-anonymous FTP) taking place, and relying on SSH
|>> and friends for everything...
|>
|> Good answer - to which I might add, if the task involves several
|> commands, write a script that does everything.  Use Python or
|> bash, or whatever you like.  Put the script on the server,
|> and then invoke it remotely from Python via ssh.
|>
|> ## Jason Orendorff    http://www.jorendorff.com/
|
| Me, too.  Conventional references present telnet, FTP,
| account creation headed toward rhosts, and such, and
| they are badly misguided.  Although the advice Alex and
| Mr. Orendorff is in the minority, it's valuable and
| important.

Well, just to confuse the issue, telnet and FTP can be as secure
as ssh.  The protocols leave room for secure authentication, and
data encryption if you want.  We have turned off clear text password
authentication for network services at my site, and people still
use telnet and ftp, authenticating with Kerberos 5.  There's a lot
more ssh than there used to be, but for various reasons some things,
including a number of automated procedures between administrative
hosts, were much more easily converted to Kerberos ftp than to ssh,
and as an authentication technology Kerberos is at least as secure
as ssh, I would say better.

More or less off topic, unless you count the "hey, there are other
alternatives" syndrome ("whoa, dude, you should check out Perl!")

	Donn Cave, donn at u.washington.edu