Autocoding evolves from........

Timothy Rue threeseas at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 10:41:15 EST 2002

I'm going to try to explain this tool I've been on about in a mnner of
evolution, or start here, add this and why, and then expand that for more
power and control....

Start here: We exist (one item)

We consume and we produce in this existance (two items - input and output)

we can expand on this an break it into three items.

input -> processing -> output

I can go to the lumber yard and buy some wood and supplys (consume) and
take the stuff I bought and make some things with it (process) and then I
can sell it or give these things I've made away (output).

Simple enough!

In a Unixy shell that can be done simply by entering a command (process)
on the imput of the command line and getting output to the screen.

I input and got output.

Using redirection, I input from the lumberstore and process thru my shop
and output to the yard sale.

%> shop <lumberstore >yardsale

Simple enough.

Only it's not that easy to do in real life.

Sure I can go to the lumber store and sum it up that I got input from teh
store. But as someone else said, the devil is in the details.

Exactly where all do I get input from (once I get in the store)?

I don't just and walk in then out with what all I need. I have to get wood
from a rack, nails from a shelf, Glue from another shelf, and paint from
off another shelf in another part of the store.

That's alot more different inputs than just getting input from the store.

THIS is just to show the need to be able to change input direction.

So... (changeable input direction) -> processing -> output

That is a difference that gives us more control over the input and
changing it as needed, to where it is needed.

Still all the stuff input from the store gets taken to the shop. There is
no need to get just one item and take it to the shop, and repeating it
until all items are in teh shop.

What that means is that:

%> shop <lumberstore >yardsale

...well it doesn't really work that way in real life so why expect someone
to do it that way on a computer?!

As the input stage can be shown to need greater flexability, so can the
output stage be shown the need for it to be more flexable too.

(changeable input direction) ->processing-> (changeable output direction)

Ok, so WHILE PROCESSING IS GOING ON we can change the input and output
directions as needed.

This is why the VIC has such ability designed into it.

And in the same way of stepping thru what you do in real life, everything
designed into the VIC is done so for the reason of providing such
versatility so that when it is needed, it is there to use.

Fortunately, in dealing with computers, we don't have to use the
versatility any where near the amount that we actually use it in real
life. But we still do use it and having the versatility available is
better than not.

For example, in going into the lumber store I have to IDentify the wood
and nails and checkout counter, etc... before I know whether or not I need
them. But in a computer, I might just be able to take alot of short cuts,
like telling the computer to get me everything on my shopping list. Where
it would be much quicker at going thru the store inventory list, then my
doing it manually walking thru the store.

Unfortunately while writting this I've been called back to work. But I hope
I have given some insight into what the VIC is and why it is designed the
way it is. Perhaps I'll be able to follow up in showing the basic idea
of each of the other commands and the why behind expanding on them for
more control and versatility. And of course the integration of all of
them into a configuration that provides the senergy we experience in reall
life in working as a team.

There is no magic formula to autocoding or other such seemingly complex
things like AI illusions (which is what the turning test is, a test of
illusion). What there is, is just the automating of things in a manner
consistant with the way we do things in real life.

---
*3 S.E.A.S - Virtual Interaction Configuration (VIC) - VISION OF VISIONS!*
   *~ ~ ~      Advancing How we Perceive and Use the Tool of Computers!*
Timothy Rue      What's *DONE* in all we do?  *AI PK OI IP OP SF IQ ID KE*
Email @ mailto:timrue at mindspring.com      >INPUT->(Processing)->OUTPUT>v
Web @ http://www.mindspring.com/~timrue/  ^<--------<----9----<--------<