A Python IDE idea - looking for input

Vadim Zeitlin zeitlin at seth.lpthe.jussieu.fr
Fri Jan 4 09:17:20 EST 2002

On Thu, 03 Jan 2002 21:53:28 GMT, Jeffrey Drake <jpt.d at rogers.com> wrote:
> The model of the ide would come directly from Visual Basic.

 IMHO, if you want to recreate a Microsoft product, Visual Studio (a.k.a.
MSDEV) is a better model than VB.

> Differences from vb would include no form editor (i don't see one
> needed to begin with).

 Many people find it a very important tool for GUI program design.

> The language I would think of using for such a project would be c++
> with wxWindows.

 I'm a C++ programmer but it still seems clear to me that you should use
[wx]Python for this, not C++. You will need to embed Python interpreter anyhow
so why not create the GUI in Python as well? You might have to write some C++
code here and there, of course, but it makes direct sense to use Python for
almost everything IMHO.

 Also, I'd encourage you to join the other existing projects with the similar
goals such as Boa or wxWorkshop (especially if you insist on using C++!). A
good IDE is a lot of work and it would be very difficult to write one alone.

 Good luck!
VZ
--
GCS/GM d? H+ s++:-- p2 au--- a- w+ v C+++ UBLS+++ P- L++ N++ E--- W++++ M? V--
-po+ R++ G`` !tv b+++ D--- e++++ u++ h--- f+ r++ n- y?