OT (maybe): Shareable Mail

Chris Gonnerman chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
Fri Jan 25 08:17:14 EST 2002

I have two customers who need to be able to share one email
address (including local mailboxes) between several LAN-
connected machines at the same time.  This is in support
of a centralized email address, i.e. sales at customersite.com.
Any/all employees should be able to list all messages, reply
to any message, and there should be a record kept of who
handled any replied-to message.  All messages and replies
must be kept (or be able to be kept) indefinitely as they
represent business records.

Oh, yeah... Windoze is the client platform.  While I'd love
to sell these customers Linux servers it would be a hard
sell without some pretty compelling reasons.

I can see in my mind's eye how to do this in Python:  a mail
retrieval program run by the scheduler every five minutes
(or thereabouts) would retrieve the mail messages, parse
the MIME parts and store the whole mess in a database.  The
clients would use a web browser to view a cgi-driven mail
listing, and all user interface items would be implemented
there.

Sounds cool, but I'm up to my elbows in another project and
don't have time for this.  Does anyone know of an existing
system, free (preferably) or under $1,000 to implement on
Win9x, which I could use to satisfy these customers?  Any
implementation language would be acceptable, but I'd prefer
to be able to customize the program myself (so open source
or a source license would be best).

Any suggestions?

Chris Gonnerman -- chris.gonnerman at newcenturycomputers.net
http://newcenturycomputers.net