HList anomalies

David DeGeorge dld at degeorge.org
Sun Jan 27 14:39:22 EST 2002

I am trying to use the HList widget and I'm starting with the example in
Demo/samples  directory called Tree.py. Out of the can the example doesn't
work as one (I) might expect in that when I close a directory and then
reopen it I get Tcl error because the entries already exist. So I thought I
would test for existence and add the entry only if it doesn't exist. The
obvious code fails to work. The code sample is below --- it is short
because I figure this must a common problem. If I put in prints the wooby
variables are 0 but the if clause is not satisfied. Whassup?

def opendir(tree, dir):
    entries = tree.hlist.info_children(dir)
    if entries:
        # We have already loaded this directory. Let's just
        # show all the child entries
        #
        # Note: since we load the directory only once, it will not be
        #       refreshed if the you add or remove files from this
        #       directory.
        #
        for entry in entries:
            tree.hlist.show_entry(entry)
    files = os.listdir(dir)
    for file in files:
        gooby = dir + '/' + file
        if os.path.isdir(gooby):
            wooby  =  tree.hlist.info_exists(gooby)
            if(not wooby):
                adddir(tree, gooby)
        else:
            wooby  =  tree.hlist.info_exists(gooby)
            if (not wooby) :
                tree.hlist.add(gooby, itemtype=Tix.IMAGETEXT, text=file,
                               image=tree.tk.call('tix', 'getimage',
'file'))

David