Closed-source considered harmful (was: JavaScript considered harmful)

Paul Wright -$Paul$- at verence.demon.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 15:00:33 EST 2002

In article <3C3C94F5.F80F01EF at attbi.com>,
Chris Barker  <chrishbarker at attbi.com> wrote:
>Brett g Porter wrote:
>> I've read that there's a growing aftermarket EPROM scene to modify
>> your engine's shift points.
>
>You've just disproved your own point. While it requires a great deal of
>expertise and expensive tools to burn a new EPROM, it can be (and
>apparently has been) done by people other than the manufacturer of the
>car.
>
>It would take a lot of study before I could even begin to hack the
>Linux kernel, but at least it is an option, it is not with the WinNT
>kernel.  How hard it is is not the point, whether it is possible (or
>legal) at all is the distinction.

Unless the manufacturer has decided to distribute inside information,
both altering a car's calibration and hacking the WinNT kernel involve
reverse engineering jobs (or people on the inside talking when they
shouldn't). I should think the legality is the same in both cases,
although I am not a lawyer.

--
Paul Wright | http://pobox.com/~pw201 |