OT message issues

hash at removethis.tlen.pl hash at removethis.tlen.pl
Mon Jan 14 10:27:08 EST 2002

Steve Holden wrote:

> Not all newsreading software does threading as well as it might. See
>
>     http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html
>
> for a description of one algorithm that's supposed to work well.
>
> Like you I use Outlook Express 5.5, and find that threading is broken.

Thanks for the link. The algorithm that is outlined there was used in
Netscape 3.0 so I installed it to see if it's going to work right (I am
posting from it now). But it didn't do better than me or Outlook
Express. And I think I know why.

Both messages, as I see them, have id's of the pattern:

<mailman.[some numbers].python-list at python.org>

so I suppose they are send by the authors by mail to the python-list and
then get forwarded to c.l.py with a new, generated id. Those who reply
on python-list reference the original id, which works fine on
python-list but breaks threads on c.l.py (where the original id is
meaningless).

If I'm right, the python-list -> c.l.py forwarder has to be fixed. There
are two solutions to consider: preserving original id's or generating
them before adding messages to python-list.

Rgds
--
Mike W.