Mono and Python

Ron Stephens rdsteph at earthlink.net
Wed Jan 2 20:54:51 EST 2002

I actually agree with you; and I've definitely been playing the town council
type here on the newsgroup lately. Now that the holidays are over, I gotta go
back to work anyway.

But when I go into town council mode, everyone shoudl just feel free to yell
"shut up" as loud as you can and I will hear you.

I actually did try to bring up these bullshit topics between Xmas and New
Years, when the newsgroup was extra slow.

But for what its worth, before I go for now, my last thoughts on these
alternate runtime environments:

...Well, I don't actually have any last thoughts, just go back and re-read
what Andrew Kuchling said about them, I think he is 100% correct.

If someone produces actual code for Python.net or Mono, like Andrew has done
for Parrot, that's great. meanwhile, if someone can add to what Andrew has
done for python -parrot, great---but even Parrot is not really ready to be
ported to anyway.

Those who can code, code. Those who can't, talk; and  the coders *always* have
the right to shoot the talkers. Meanwhile, talk is fun in moderation, at the
right times. (at least if  you don't get shot)

And Python will continue to attract clueless newbies, some of whom will
progress to clued in newbies.

C'est la vie.

But the more I think about it, even before I read the excellent Town Council
piece, the more  I think .Net, Mono, and Parrot might be poor diversions of
precious coding skills time and energy. But only the actual coders can decide
that.

Meanwhile viva la Python...