Status of Python for .NET

Bill Tutt rassilon at lyra.org
Thu Jan 31 17:46:22 EST 2002

> From: Samuel Schulenburg [mailto:samschul at pacbell.net]
>
> I have run into the following catch 22 between what Microsoft say's
> and what they do.
>
> I recently attened their .NET seminiar where they proudly proclamed
> that .NET will support various languages, and
> Python,Fortran,Cobal,Effel,and others were mentioned. They did not say
> who would be porting these languages to .NET.

Lots of folks. Check out the URL:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/partners/language/default.asp

As David Ascher from ActiveState mentioned in another email, they aren't
currently doing any work on a Python compiler for .Net.

> Now at the company I work for, (A Microsoft House) we use Windows2000
> as the OS for our product. Microsoft's EULA that we have to follow
> states that we can not use open source, or GPL'd software. i.e I can
> not use Python at work/

I think you're overstretching this just a bit. IIRC, the EULA just
requires you to not violate the GPL, and that you won't hold MS liable
for a possible GPL violation.

> I ckecked out Monster.com for Python jobs the other day, and found a
> posting by Microsoft for Python programmers.
>
> Wow I am really confused.
> 1) Will .NET support Python?

That's the wrong question. The correct question is:
Will someone write a .Net compiler for Python?

Atm the answer to that question is not any time soon.

> 2) How will that effect an open source version?
Not much since it doesn't exist yet.

> 3) Will Microsofts EULA contradict the marketing verbage?
> 4) What are they doing with Python Programmers?

Whatever they want. It's most likely something involving automating some
tedious build lab task, or testing harness related thing.

Bill