How easy is it to create graphical user interface with Python?

Larry Wright larrwright at thewrightshome.com
Mon Jan 21 08:07:24 EST 2002

Johan Trygg wrote:

> Hi,
> I am a complete beginner to Python, but I have heard many good things
> about it. I am thinking about creating a GUI software that will
> contain some linear algebra, 2D plots (scatter, histogram, line plots)
> and a nice GUI with menus.
> I am currently using Matlab to do this but does anyone have experience
> with Python to create such a software.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon,

I haven't written software exactly like you describe but I have written GUI
apps with PyQT(http://www.thekompany.com/projects/pykde). It is quite easy
to use and there is a book available online that covers it quite
extensively (http://stage.linuxports.com/projects/pyqt/). It also comes
with a GUI builder tool that makes short work of dialogs and widgets.

I haven't used wxPython (haven't had any need), but it doesn't look much
more difficult to use. IIRC, PyQT has more classes, however.

HTH
Larry