Closed-source considered harmful (was: JavaScript considered harmful)

Oleg Broytmann phd at phd.pp.ru
Wed Jan 9 16:46:52 EST 2002

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 10:07:57PM +0100, Karl M. Syring wrote:
> > 1. Users must be teached to understand what is going on behind the
> > (browser) scene, and how (and why) to configure their software.
>
> That's beyond reach for many people.

   I don't buy this. People re more, much more clever thn this. They are
just lazy.
   But anywy it is inevitble. Look, biological evolution produces more and
more complex species. Technicl development produces more and more complex
devices. The world is running fast towards complexity, not simplicity.
Every yer our TVs, VCRs etc are becoming more complex. If people can read,
if they can use those TVs, VCRs and all that - why not learn yet another
device, computer?

> > 2. But not all software is allowed to be configured. Hence users must be
> > teached to prefer Free Software.
>
> That's beyond reach for many people.

   I didn't meant we will do it on a personal basis. Exactly opposite - I am
going to change the world, to change our laws, to extend our liberties, to
protect our rights. (Well, I'm just joining other movements that are
already changing the world.)

> Once upon a time, there was a company that controlled the hardware and the
> software market. Although some people say that it induced a statsi of 20
> years, it was finally toppled.

   I hope this will happen to the Bad Company, too.

> > 4. That Bad Company (as well as many others) is trying to develop dumb
> > users - lamers that instead of understanding what is in their tools (I
> mean
> > any tool, not only computer, and I include computer in the list) just
> > ignorantly press buttons. That's another reason to stop them. Users must
> > understand their tools, because modern tools are too powerful, and
> pressing
> > incorrect button these days may easiliy lead to people death, or huge
> money
> > lost, and all that.
>
> Many people are not interested. A friend of mine once commented on such a
> proposal "I have no interest to fill my head with lots of trivial stuff".

   He is in a big danger. It's a pity he does not understand it.

"When they took the fourth amendment, I was quiet because I didn't deal drugs.
When they took the sixth amendment, I was quiet because I was innocent.
When they took the second amendment, I was quiet because I didn't own a gun.
Now they've taken the first amendment, and I can say nothing about it."

Oleg.
     Oleg Broytmann            http://phd.pp.ru/            phd at phd.pp.ru