Autocoding evolves from........

Terry Reedy tjreedy at home.com
Mon Jan 28 12:35:57 EST 2002

"Timothy Rue" <threeseas at earthlink.net> wrote in message
news:4314.793T504T6883966threeseas at earthlink.net...

> I'm going to try to explain this tool I've been on about in a mnner
of
> evolution, or start here, add this and why, and then expand that for
more
> power and control....

Hi Tim.  To me, this is the best (most comprehensible) thing you have
written so far.  I would like to see more along the same line.

>Using redirection, I input from the lumberstore and process thru my
shop
>and output to the yard sale.

>%> shop <lumberstore >yardsale

OK, so you are aware of prior art and are willing to acknowledge that
you are building upon it.  Good

> As the input stage can be shown to need greater flexability, so can
the
> output stage be shown the need for it to be more flexable too.
>
> (changeable input direction) ->processing-> (changeable output
direction)

> Ok, so WHILE PROCESSING IS GOING ON we can change the input and
output
> directions as needed.

So you want to write a souped-up shell or glue language based more
firmly, as you see it, on the way we do things in everyday life.  An
interesting idea.  Perhaps you should start by implementing or at
least mocking up an implementation of one new thing, such as
<changeable imput direction>.

> Unfortunately while writting this I've been called back to work. But
I hope
> I have given some insight into what the VIC is and why it is
designed the
> way it is. Perhaps I'll be able to follow up in showing the basic
idea
> of each of the other commands and the why behind expanding on them
for
> more control and versatility.

I think continuing this article with similar clarity would be more
productive than continuing your prior threads.

Terry J. Reedy