Historic event (was: Chewing one's arm off to avoid VBScript (was RE: Serious privacy leak in Python for Windows))

David Ascher DavidA at ActiveState.com
Thu Jan 17 12:43:18 EST 2002

Cameron Laird wrote:

> In article <3C46EB8A.3070708 at mxm.dk>, Max m  <maxm at mxm.dk> wrote:
>                         .
>                         .
>                         .
> >But the main problem with VBScript is that most people using it never
> >realise how poor it is, as they us it because it is a "Microsoft
> >Standard" and so is good enough.
>                         .
>                         .
>                         .
> Python is, too, now.
>
> More specifically, Visual Studio .Net just became available
> on the MSDN download site this week, and one of its languages
> is Python.  That makes possible conversations like this:
>   A:  It's done.
>   M:  Really?  Great.  How'd you code it?
>   A:  In Python.  It went well.
>   M:  Python?!?  You know we need to use
>       standard languages that our vendors
>       support.  That's ...
>   A:  But Python is.  Microsoft supports it.
>   M:  Oh!  Well, in that case ...

While I love that conversation, I just need to clarify that Microsoft
doesn't support Python in VisualStudio.NET, ActiveState does as part of
its VisualPython product.  We're a Visual Studio Integration Partner,
but that's not the same thing as being "Microsoft". =)

But yes -- having Python as part of Visual Studio should make corporate
acceptance of the "most powerful language you can still read"* even
easier than in the past.

-- David Ascher
   ActiveState

*: Quoth Paul Dubois, in a forthcoming volume.