Book Royalties <OT>

Andrew Koenig ark at research.att.com
Thu Jan 24 00:06:05 EST 2002

Frederick> Wrong. Nearly all the actual work that goes into the
Frederick> production of a book is outsourced. Typesetting is done in
Frederick> the Far East or India; editing and indexing are done by
Frederick> freelancers, usually in the US.

Sometimes, perhaps, but not always.

Barbara and I did the typesetting ourselves for ``Ruminations on C++''
and ``Accelerated C++,'' sending PostScript files to the publisher.
I did the typesetting for ``C Traps and Pitfalls,'' sending physical
camera-ready pages to the publisher -- PostScript didn't exist in 1988.

I indexed all three books myself.

Each book had a different copy editor, hired by the publisher.

--
Andrew Koenig, ark at research.att.com, http://www.research.att.com/info/ark