NEWBIE: Confussed about Python!

maxm maxm at mxm.dk
Mon Jan 14 12:22:52 EST 2002

"Max Adams" <RubberDucky703 at hotmail.com> wrote

> So there are libraries to access MySQL and MS Access?  I assume that only
> the latter would work under windows. - Can these both be used together in
> the same script.  From what you have said I see no reason why not -
correct.

MySql has ODBC drivers, so works nicely under Windows.

> So it would be feasible for a client running Linux to connect to a NT web
> server over port 80 and then using the python CGI script pull data from
both
> databases (say list tables in a MySQL db and a MS Acc DB [using ADO i
> assume]).  Would this work?

Shure.

> Most of what you have said (although useful) is stuff i though was related
> to perl.  How is python different to perl?  Are the two miles apart? -
i'll
> look through google but i would still appreciate any other input.

You can do the same stuff in Perl.

Actually I programmed in Perl for over a year before I got over my lukewarm
feeling over the indentation issue, and tried out Python. I deeply regret
that! Seeing how much I learn and try every year in Python I kick myself in
the lower back, and imagine how much longer I could have been if I hadn't
wasted a year on that other language.

And now I find the indentation one of the great things about it.

Working a lot in Zope which is sometimes less than adequately documented, I
love being able to read the source and not having to worry about coding
styles.

regards Max M