frozen win32com problem

Robin Becker robin at jessikat.fsnet.co.uk
Wed Jan 9 06:23:17 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1010145073.13388.python-list at python.org>, Stefan
Schukat <SSchukat at dspace.de> writes
>It could also be that the component category manager is not
>registered right on yout NT system. Try this
>
>RegSvr32.Exe <Path To Windows\System(32)>\ComCat.DLL
>
>on your NT machine and look if it helps.
>
>       Stefan
OK that's the problem. It seems that a standard bare bones install of
NT4 is not required to have Comcat.dll at all. Checking with google I
see that there are very large numbers of problems associated with
comcat.dll (mainly versioning and non-registration).

I have a vague understanding that comcat.dll implements the "Component
Categories Manager" required for controls, but not for com objects. I
have set _reg_disable_pycomcat_ = 1 in my com class, but even so it
seems that the win32com/server/register.py module contains an
unconditional attempt to register the "Python COM Server" category.

This is a bit restrictive.
--
Robin Becker