OT message issues

Steve Holden sholden at holdenweb.com
Mon Jan 14 10:41:25 EST 2002

<hash at removethis.tlen.pl> wrote in message
news:3C42F8CC.70A at removethis.tlen.pl...
> Steve Holden wrote:
>
> > Not all newsreading software does threading as well as it might. See
> >
> >     http://www.jwz.org/doc/threading.html
> >
> > for a description of one algorithm that's supposed to work well.
> >
> > Like you I use Outlook Express 5.5, and find that threading is broken.
>
> Thanks for the link. The algorithm that is outlined there was used in
> Netscape 3.0 so I installed it to see if it's going to work right (I am
> posting from it now). But it didn't do better than me or Outlook
> Express. And I think I know why.
>
> Both messages, as I see them, have id's of the pattern:
>
> <mailman.[some numbers].python-list at python.org>
>
> so I suppose they are send by the authors by mail to the python-list and
> then get forwarded to c.l.py with a new, generated id. Those who reply
> on python-list reference the original id, which works fine on
> python-list but breaks threads on c.l.py (where the original id is
> meaningless).
>
> If I'm right, the python-list -> c.l.py forwarder has to be fixed. There
> are two solutions to consider: preserving original id's or generating
> them before adding messages to python-list.

That explains quite a lot. It would seem to make most sense to keep the
python-list id when messages are forwarded to the news server, but I haven't
looked at this in enough detail to know whether it's that simple. The
mailman software is usually pretty smart about such stuff, so I'm thinking
there are tricky unconsidered issues stopping it from maintaining correct
threading through the gateway.

regards
 Steve
--