OT: the joys of language (was RE: Hooks, aspect-oriented programming, and design by contract)

Pedro Rodriguez pedro_rodriguez at club-internet.fr
Fri Jan 25 12:54:59 CET 2002

"Mark McEahern" <marklists at mceahern.com> wrote:

>> Can't answer at the first question ? Regarding the last point, I find
>> it overkilling ...
>
> for a native speaker to come up with such a gem--a subtle but unusual
> variation on a common phrase--they would have to be a verbal genius.  i
> find it overkilling.  i love it!

If you want to know how I felt when I realized who you were quoting ;)

    Arthur Dent hoped and prayed there wasn't an afterlife. Then,
    realizing the contradiction, he merely hoped there wasn't an
    afterlife.
    - Douglas Adams, In Literature/Douglas Adams

And I am pretty sure there is an 'overkill' case in hhgg ;)

> thank you for bringing a smile to my face.
>
> cheers,
>
> // mark

So you actually found a good use for the posting. I am stil at headache
level, trying to sort non sense in non sense ;)

--

Pedro