can't make python2.1.2c1 on Redhat 7.0 system

Steve Cohen cohsteve at attbi.com
Sun Jan 13 18:44:42 EST 2002

I am unable to build this version on my Redhat Linux 7.0 system.

I run configure and then make and I get this:

[root Python-2.1.2c1]# make
gcc -c -g -O2 -Wall -Wstrict-prototypes -I. -I./Include -DHAVE_CONFIG_H
  -o Modules/python.o Modules/python.c
In file included from Include/Python.h:54,
                  from Modules/python.c:3:
Include/pyport.h:422:2: #error "LONG_BIT definition appears wrong for
platform (bad gcc/glibc config?)."
make: *** [Modules/python.o] Error 1

I don't usually have trouble building anything else.
I do get similar errors when trying to install python 2.1 from the
source rpm.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what is going on or what I need to upgrade.

[root Python-2.1.2c1]# gcc -dumpversion
2.96

glibc version is 2.1.92-14