Backwards Compatibility of Python versions

Paul Sidorsky paulsid at shaw.ca
Sun Jan 13 15:05:05 EST 2002

Sheila King wrote:

> In the past, the system admin has mentioned that he is not wanting to
> upgrade Python because the system utilities in RH Linux depend on the 1.5.2
> and he doesn't want to break anything.

Unfortunately, this is true.  After installing RH 7.1 on my home
network's server I proceeded to upgrade to Python 2.1 and it broke a few
things.  Although for me the broken stuff wasn't anything major, I
reinstalled Python 1.5.2 to be on the safe side.

I didn't have much time to look into the incompatibility and see if I
could fix it, but it seemed to have something to do with the libraries.

> Recently, I brought this topic up again (in the community discussion
> forums) and asked if it wouldn't be possible to install a more recent
> version *ALONGSIDE* the system default version. (I know the answer to this
> is 'yes', but I'm trying to 'suggest' it...)

After reinstalling 1.5.2 on my box I then installed 2.1 alongside it.
The two versions coexist without any problems.

I've also done a personal install of 2.1 on a web site I run where the
only Python version available is 1.5.1!  (It's on a Cobalt RaQ server.)
I had the space to spare and figured it was easier than dealing with the
admins.  No problems there, either.

So I think installing 2.x alongside 1.5.2 is probably the best option.
While it may not be a major problem to do a complete upgrade to 2.x
without breaking things, it is definitely not an automatic upgrade.  (If
it were, the RedHat stuff wouldn't break.)  Your admin obviously isn't a
Python expert (like most of the rest of us) and he's probably not
willing to risk a non-trivial upgrade of a package he's not too familiar
with, even with assurances it can be done safely.

However, a dual-install is not difficult and shouldn't cause any
problems, as long as people know that they need to type "python2.x"
instead of just "python" to get the new version.  So I think it's the
way to go.