What is the number of the PEP for adding indention to Python?

czrpb nanotech at europa.com
Fri Jan 4 12:49:23 EST 2002

Alex/Skip/All:

Embedded:

--- In python-list at y..., Skip Montanaro <skip at p...> wrote:

>     Alex> This is far from an unusual phenomenon.  In Renaissance
times, the
>     Alex> idea that different people have different skills was not
>     Alex> mainstream, the theory being that an Architect would be
just as
>     Alex> good at talking about his designs, as at designing them
and
>     Alex> supervising the building process.  That's the theory.
Some
>     Alex> specific architects may have almost approached it
(Alberti,
>     Alex> Palladio).  But some of the most outstanding
practitioners, even
>     Alex> then, were DOERS, *NOT* talkers: for example, Biagio
Rossetti's
>     Alex> _writings_ about what he was doing, and why, are feeble
and
>     Alex> fortunately almost non-existent.  He clearly knew what he
was
>     Alex> doing, but the way he "talked" about it was in brick and
stone,
>     Alex> not pen and paper....
>
> My late father-in-law, Ray Pigozzi, was an extremely talented
architect (he
> was made a fellow of the AIA in the late 70's or early 80's), and
although
> he was by all accounts an excellent mentor to younger architects in
the firm
> he cofounded, he also had the well-deserved reputation of being
quite
> laconic (this I know from personal experience ;-).  Early in his
career, he
> received an award from some masonry organization for his use of
brick in
> building OWP (now OWP&P) had designed.  This necessitated the usual
awards
> ceremony with dinner and speeches.  The recipients who preceeded Ray
to the
> podium all spoke at length about their work.  Ray's entire
acceptance speech
> was, "The building speaks for itself."

Now I know you are not saying: Python speaks for itself. (However much
I might *like* to agree!)

'cause that is what every language advocate says! <wink!>

I have begun looking at the CWI link Aahz provided (NOTE: on 'ABC' and
not 'Python', so it feels like a am being asked to infer), but there
really has got to be more than Guido's a DOER and not a TALKER.
<grin!>

> Skip

thanks for your attention and help! <<q