Closed-source considered harmful (was: JavaScript considered harmful)

Garry Hodgson garry at sage.att.com
Fri Jan 11 10:22:47 EST 2002

Brett g Porter wrote:

> "Oleg Broytmann" <phd at phd.pp.ru> wrote in message
> > But unfortunately
> > compatibility issue created the world where there is The One OS Maker, and
> > I am afraid they are driving us to the world where there will be The One
> > Software Maker.
> >    I am against such a monopoly, do you?
> >
> I disagree with the characterization. There is not only One OS Maker, and
> when you say that there is Only One, it makes it difficult to take your
> points seriously. I've got three operating systems humming in my office as I
> type this -- 2 closed, 1 open.

but of course your office doesn't count.  nor mine, nor most of the
people
that post on this newsgroup.  for the general public, there is, indeed,
only One OS Maker.  and for most, you don't even think in terms of an
OS,
but rather, Windows and computers are synonymous.

--
Garry Hodgson                   Let my inspiration flow
Senior Hacker                      in token rhyme suggesting rhythm
garry at sage.att.com