ANN: Automation Server for Delphi 5 TIniFile Component

Michael Kelly mkelly2002NOSPAM at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 28 16:33:34 EST 2002

As I mentioned a while back I was working on an
Automation wrapper for the Delphi 5 TIniFile component
and was going to post it as freeware.

It showed up today on Torry's.
www.torry.net

Look for the file mkinifilelib.zip

It's an InProcess COM Automation Server for
Delphi 5 TIniFile to make it easy to use the
convenient TIniFile Windows .ini file manipulation
routines in COM-aware languages such as Python,
VB, VC++, Ruby etc..

It's a dual-interface IDispatch so you can use
either late or early binding.

Included in the .zip file are the component,
IniFileLib.dll, the type library, and both .hlp
and HtmlHelp help files.  One note on the
HtmlHelp files, I used a tool that creates
a nice "VB Documentation" type look.
The only thing a bit confusing is there
seems to be an extra "Returns:" statement
on each method.  The second "Returns
a Boolean Value" always refers to the
HRESULT return, which when using
smart pointers would be returned through
the exception mechanism.

Also there's a minimal Python example
that creates an .ini file and writes and
reads dates and strings etc..  IIRC the
.ini filename is hard coded so you probably
want to change it to use the folder your
example script is in before running it but
it's pretty small so reading it may be sufficient
to convey usage.

It's a freeware with no support but if you find
any bugs I read this group regularly so feel free
to let me know if something weird happens when
using it.

I hope someone finds it useful. :)

--

"If it's on Television chances are