Who needs exceptions (was Re: Two languages, too similar, competing in the same space.)

Michael Kelly mkelly2002NOSPAM at earthlink.net
Thu Jan 3 13:03:16 EST 2002

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 14:25:43 +0100, "Alex Martelli" <aleax at aleax.it>
wrote:

>For example, bugs in operating systems' virtual memory subsystems
>are NOT unheard of.  There's nothing a language running on top of
>such an OS can really do to stop the OS from going crazy under it.

Also the fact that a gazillion PCs come with the equivalent of
Windows9x preinstalled means that lots of stuff will be running
on that platform that shouldn't.  Anyway, I *do* think the memory
reserve thing is worth doing.  Don't get me wrong.  I just think
this article points out some interesting things to take into
consideration.  Anyway, any in depth discussion of the
issue, esp. on Windows will probably point out many of
the same "gotcha's" this fellow did.  Sorry but I don't
get a hit on web search or I'd post a URL for those
interested.

Mike

--

"I don't want to belong to any club that would have me as a member."
    -- Groucho Marx