Python + windows

Delaney, Timothy tdelaney at avaya.com
Sun Jan 20 16:53:54 EST 2002

> From: Bruce Dawson [mailto:comments at cygnus-software.com]
>
> Note that the restrictions on PATH length are a non-issue
> with NT, Win2K
> and WinXP. Thus, they should be a non-issue for most programmers, and
> in a few years they should be a non-issue for most users also.

Actually, this is not (quite) true.

Just last week I debugged a problem I was having (Win2K) ... an executable
could be found on the command line (i.e. could be found in the path), but
could not be run from a makefile called from a python script called from my
text editor.

Somewhere along the line, one of those tools was truncating the PATH
variable. I suspect the editor.

So it's not a non-issue, but it is much *less* of an issue. Anyway, I moved
the part of the path towards the front of PATH and it's all OK now ... took
quite a long time to determine the problem.

Tim Delaney