[NEWBIE] ftplib error?

Bruce Dykes bkd at graphnet.com
Wed Jan 23 07:19:49 EST 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bruce Dykes" <bkd at graphnet.com>
To: <python-list at python.org>
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 07:20
Subject: Re: [NEWBIE] ftplib error?

> Not so much noise, as much as not yet relevant, but educational
nonetheless.
> My first step, before I start sniffing ports, is to fire up an ftp server
on
> my own machine, and try to connect to127.0.0.1. If that fails, well,
you'll
> be hearing about this again. Let's hope it doesn't come to that. That
would
> just be too freaky. 8-)

Guess what. That's right. It's still not working. I installed an ftp server
(the superficially excellent GuildFTPd) and started it running. Tried to
connect to 127.0.0.1 with ftplib in an interactive session, conection
refused. Fired up the windows ftp client and pointed it at 127.0.0.1, and it
connects.

As a side note, it appears that NT 4 has a problem releasing sockets. Once I
close down the ftp server, and try to restart it again, it can't seem to
reinitialize port 21.

*sigh*

> hehe. Yep. That's the actual string I type to cahnge directories on the
> server. Tandems are Funky.

In answer to Pedro's question, Tandems are big iron transaction processors,
now owned by Compaq.

Bruce