Closed-source considered harmful (was: JavaScript considered harmful)

Aahz Maruch aahz at panix.com
Fri Jan 11 10:42:03 EST 2002

In article <mailman.1010511911.6400.python-list at python.org>,
Mark McEahern <marklists at mceahern.com> wrote:
>Oleg Broytmann
>>
>> Users must understand their tools, because modern tools are too powerful,
>> and pressing incorrect button these days may easiliy lead to people death,
>> or huge money lost, and all that.
>
>Hmm, I don't really understand how my car works.  I don't think that has any
>impact on my ability to be a safe driver, though.

OTOH, you probably had many hours of instruction on using a car (including
hours of supervised driving) before you were permitted to drive one on
your own.

Hugs and backrubs -- I break Rule 6                 http://www.rahul.net/aahz/

"There are times when effort is important and necessary, but this should
not be taken as any kind of moral imperative."  --jdecker