finding a module

Kevin Dahlhausen kdahlhaus at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 25 09:21:21 EST 2002

I'm having a little trouble finding a c extension.  Here's the
situation:

I have a web host that allows python cgi.  I've also written a wrapper
for a library.  The wrapper is a subdirectory with an __init__.py
file.  In the same subdirectory is a swig-generated c wrapper (
sqlitec.so ) that is imported by one of the files imported by
__init__.py.  The main web application sits in the directory above the
module directory:

  .....\webapp\main.cgi               (imports sqlitedb)
  .....\webapp\sqlitedb\__init__.py   (imports wrapper)
  .....\webapp\sqlitedb\wrapper.py    (imports sqlitec)
  .....\webapp\sqlitedb\sqlitec.so

The code on 'main.cgi' contains an import: 'import sqlitedb'.
Python finds the sqlitedb python files, but can not find sqlitec.so.
They are runing Python 1.6.

How can I allow Python to see the loadable module?   It is
possible/common for the web providers to disallow import of native
code modules?

I've tried adding the following to main.cgi:

  import sys
  sys.path.append(".")
  sys.path.append("./sqlitedb")

  import sqlitedb

but that did did not fix anything.

Any ideas?

If this works, we would be very close to having thread-safe
python-based web sites w/an sql database but without an sql server.
(Sqlite is a file-based database similar to gadfly).