Mysterious delay in Python module loading (fwd)

Bob Kline bkline at rksystems.com
Tue Jan 8 17:48:43 EST 2002

On Tue, 8 Jan 2002, Tim Peters wrote:

> [Bob Kline]
> > I have made some progress in my debugging of the problem.  In fact it
> > appears that the problem stems from a wide discrepancy in the amount of
> > time consumed by a call to fopen() on the two machines.  A test repro
> > written in C with loops to repeatedly attempt to open the files that
> > Python was trying to open while searching for the module files runs in
> > under 6 seconds on the development machine, and 382 seconds on the
> > second machine (some of the fopen calls succeed, most fail, as is the
> > case when Python is doing its search for the modules).
>
> Are you running a virus scanner on this machine?  Some interfere enormously
> with file operations.

Both machines are running the same virus software, controlled by the
network domain admin.  I'll push some more to make sure they can confirm
that the configuration of the two is identical, and I've tried
temporarily disabling the virus software on the problem machine, without
any noticeable effect on the the problem.

> > The only remotely likely possibility that comes to mind at this point in
> > the game is something to do with screwed-up ACLs.
>
> Whatever it is, it's not Python <wink>.

Yes, that's the one piece I'm completely confident of having ruled out.

[By the way, I included the python list at the suggestion of one of the
Active State folks, and I'm very appreciative of the help and
suggestions I've received from members of both lists, but I'm a little
bit nervous that someone will be offended by the cross-posting.  If I've
broken any rules here, please nudge me back toward acceptable practice
for this list.]

--
Bob Kline
mailto:bkline at rksystems.com