telnet --- sockets ?

Grant Edwards grante at visi.com
Tue Jan 22 23:55:54 EST 2002

In article <3c4e0233_1 at corp.newsgroups.com>, Joshua Muskovitz wrote:
> "Grant Edwards" <grante at visi.com> wrote in message
> news:Y9m38.6275$Wf1.2170152 at ruti.visi.com...
>> Ah, he forgot to set the SO_INSTANEOUS flag!
>
> rotflmao.  Thanks for the best chuckle of the day.  :-)

It'd be even funnier if I could spell.

>> > they work.  I stongly recommend _UNIX Network Programming_ by
>> > W. Richard Stevens as a book to teach you more than you want to
>> > know about them.
>>
>> It may be more than you want to know -- but, when it comes to
>> sockets: more than you want to know is pretty much what it
>> takes to do it right.
>
> This is exactly correct, and was the reason I specified a
> rather thick book on the subject.  If you want to really
> understand what's going on at the TCP and IP layers, you can't
> just read one of those "Teach yourself TCP in two hours"
> books.  There is a *lot* going on behind the scenes.

The truly nasty thing about sockets is that doing things the
wrong way will often work some (or most) of the time.  Then
when a slow link is added between here and there, or "there" is
a BSD system instead of a Linux system, or somebody changes the
MTU on a router somewhere, your program collapses in a heap on
the floor, and the person tasked with fixing the thing will say
unkind things about you and your ancestors.

Not that I've ever been in that spot...  ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  ... I live in a
                                  at               FUR-LINE FALLOUT SHELTER