teleworking tools and methodologies (was Re: Teleowrking [Was: Anyone looking to hire a Python/C++ developer?])

Chris Liechti cliechti at gmx.net
Thu Jan 3 10:06:08 EST 2002

Gordon McMillan <gmcm at hypernet.com> wrote in
news:Xns918B606EF2ACFgmcmhypernetcom at 199.171.54.213:

> i've
> used VNC through a tunnel - man oh man, is that painful. Each mouse
> movement / click or keypress means a 2 to 10 second wait (I blame more
> than half of that on the pitiful box my client used for the tunnel).
> And don't run a DOS box on a remote Windows machine - the "just what
> changed" logic doesn't work, so the simple existence of the DOS box
> will saturate your connection.

i tested VNC over a cable connection (128kbits upstram) it worked good.
also note that a VNC server on X is MUCH faster than on windows due to the
fact that xvnc does know what has changed. (disable any fancy graphics
anyway and select 8 bit mode for the VNC client)

and just for those who don't know VNC, here's the link:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

--
Chris <cliechti at gmx.net>