Client-side web scripting in Python?

Rolf rolffreimuth at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 1 14:04:07 EST 2002

Paul Rubin <phr-n2001d at nightsong.com> wrote in message news:<7x3d1r2paa.fsf at ruckus.brouhaha.com>...
> rolffreimuth at hotmail.com (Rolf) writes:
> > Is there any way to do *pure* python client-side scripting?  Are there
> > any good resources with examples of how to do it?
>
> If you mean for publishing web pages on the internet, it doesn't sound
> like such a great idea.  I've stopped paying attention to Windoze but
> I believe there's a Python version (ActiveState?) that's callable as a
> COM object.  So you'd have to download the huge interpreter to the
> client, and then you could call it from Javascript.  You should be
> able to pass it the document object as an argument.  From there, the
> python script can use the regular COM automation methods to navigate
> inside the document object, or it can call javascript code to
> manipulate the document.  I've forgotten most of this stuff but
> basically once you get hold of the IWebBrowser2 interface you can
> make the browser do most anything you want.

I dont mean for it to be a web application.  I am just considering it
as a possibility for a simple GUI.  To run the app, a user would need
Python installed, plus MSIE, plus a few other python libs.  It is
primarily for my own use and education.  To launch the app, the user
would just click on an HTML file on the local hard drive.

Having the GUI in a browser is an advantage for this application.  The
app basically scans a directory tree for large digital photos (~2MB
each) then it uses PIL to create thumbnails and and some more
reasonably sized "large" images for publishing on the web.  I also was
considering writing some code to manage the FTP of the "processed"
images up to my website.

Rolf