Python is just as good as C++ for real apps

Kragen Sitaker kragen at pobox.com
Wed Jan 23 02:55:10 EST 2002

"Kevin Altis" <altis at semi-retired.com> writes:
> Python's popularity is hampered by the perception that it is not a good
> language for many tasks, including building standalone GUI applications.
> Whenever somebody proposes that an application be built using C/C++, C#,
> Java, Visual Basic, etc. and Python isn't even on the list of candidates
> that means Python does not have the mindshare it should.

I agree with you, but I think your presentation undermines your
message.  Consider:

    "Black people are just as good as white people."

    "I am not a crook."

    "You're just as smart as anyone else, no matter what anyone else
    tells you."

    "You're such a big boy!  You can put your pants on all by yourself!"

These statements deconstruct themselves --- the fact that they were
said at all contradicts their content.

Every popular language has started as an unpopular language and has
suffered the perception that it is not a good language for many tasks,
C, C++, C#, Java, and Visual Basic included.  People's minds about
this do not change because people simply assert that they are wrong,
unless the asserter is someone whose opinion they respect greatly.

If you want to make people think Python is a good language for these
tasks, then you should do these tasks in Python and show them the
results, and make detailed technical arguments about why Python is
better in one way or another.

> While we work to make Python libraries, tools, and environments that equal
> or surpass those available for other languages we need to be proactive in
> our public relations and marketing efforts and spread the message of the
> benefits of Python to those that have not seen the light.

I agree.